Saturday, April 22, 2006

Visiting Ramallah

For most Jewish tourists, I did the unthinkable. I went to Ramallah this week.

I had been hoping to go for some time now, to see what it was like, and I finally had the opportunity. Eric brought me with him on Wednesday afternoon to help him negotiate a deal with a print-shop in Ramallah for the publication of the Seeds of Peace magazine (The Olive Branch).

As we drove through the city, we passed by the very impressive Chinese “embassy” (not a consulate) to Palestine. I’m not sure what kind of diplomatic relations led to the embassy being created before a Palestinian state, but I’m no expert on these things.














We then went to the meeting with the printer. Expecting to enter a cramped print shop, and haggle with an ink-smudged old man, I was surprised as we were led into the spacious and modern offices of a completely integrated advertising, design and printing firm. We were greeted by a young sales rep dressed in a sharp grey suit, who ushered us into a meeting room and offered us tea and coffee. As he brought in the drinks, he joked with a wry grin, “I would bring you vodka, but since the elections …” making reference to the Islamic fundamentalist Hamas victory in the January elections. It was a good ice-breaker. The negotiations went smoothly, and I was struck by how similar the negotiations were to ones that I participated in with Mercer. In fact, this was the least contentious of any negotiation I had been in. Ultimately, it looks like we will save Seeds of Peace about 40% off their printing costs (special thanks to Tim Hoyland for teaching me everything I know about negotiations).

This experience really brought home to me Thomas Freidman’s point when he wrote about two kinds of countries, those that “were intent on building a better Lexus, while others were […] intent on renewing ethnic and tribal feuds over who owned which olive trees.” (From Beirut to Jerusalem) This Palestinian company was focused on developing and promoting the capabilities of the Palestinian economy, not perpetuating the conflict in the region. If this attitude of taking advantage of the benefits that come with peace, economic development and access to world markets gains more adherents here, I believe there is reason for optimism in the region.

After a delicious lunch of shawarma (sans pita for me, as it was still Passover), Eric took me around for some sight-seeing. We went to the Muqata’a, the Palestinian presidential compound in Ramallah, where Arafat was put under “house arrest” by the IDF in 2002.

Here's the entrance to the compound.
The building is a remnant of the British Mandate. Several Muqata’as were built in the 20’s to house the British administrative apparatus, from bureaucrats to prisons. After the Oslo accords, this Muqata’a became one of the headquarters of the PA.

Here’s a look at the building from inside the front gates.



On November 12, 2004, Yasser Arafat was buried inside the gates of the compound. Arafat’s tomb is at the center of a partly-constructed mausoleum, and is guarded by four Palestinian soldiers who proudly walked me around the compound and explained the plans for the monument, prayer hall and memorial museum to be built on this site. The soldier was also quick to point out that this is a temporary tomb – the plan is that Arafat will be buried in the Al-Aqsa Mosque on the Temple Mount when Palestine makes its capital in Jerusalem.

Here is Arafat's mausoleum.

Arafat’s tomb, in the midst of construction










Also inside the compound were the barracks for Mahmoud Abbas’ Presidential Guard, seen here.















As we drove through the streets of Ramallah to head back to Jerusalem, we passed several streets lined with green Hamas flags. Apparently, these had been put up in the celebrations after the elections. Eric joked that Hamas blew its budget on flags.


Overall, I never felt that I was in danger in Ramallah, despite my family’s concern when I told them I was going to the city. I was actually quite impressed by the number of modern offices, apartment buildings and businesses I saw. I saw a city struggling to realize its economic potential. Granted, if I had visited the refugee camps that surround the city, the picture would likely be very different.

Ramallah is commonly regarded as the most affluent and moderate of the cities in the West bank. I wonder what my experience would be as a Jew in Nablus, or Jenin or Tulkarem.

Until next time,
Seth

4 Comments:

At 6:51 PM, Blogger Dave said...

How did the Palestinian shwarma compare to the Isralei variety? Or to Fattouch on St. Laurent?

 
At 3:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am fascinated by your comments, having lived in Israel myself in such a different time, namely late 60's, early 70's. I often went to Ramallah, to dine at a restaurant with a huge garden-like courtyard. The food was free, all we had to do was order a bottle of Arak, a very strong anise-flavored liquor. The bottle, glasses and at least 30 oval plates with different appetizers, salads, olives, veggies, cheeses and other goodies were brought to the table with a huge basket of pita. We sat for hours in such a beautiful setting, drinking and eating with no cares in the world.I see that Ramallah has changed, and become a very important Palestinian city. Back then it was just another city on the West Bank, and Jews didn't feel threatened by going there. I look forward to your next posting.

 
At 12:17 PM, Blogger Seth Ross said...

Dave,
I knew you would pick up on the Shwarma comment. To be fair, I can't really compare the shwarma to the Israeli variety because I really only had a plate of the meat with salad - not my preferred mode of shwarma consumption. However, I can tell you that the meat was Lamb (not turkey as in many Israeli places) and it was very flavourful.

Bev,
I really like your description of Ramallah. I wish I was there to see it. People have told me that in the past, Ramallah used to be a resort town, where wealthy Palestinians and Jordanians would buy or rent villas to escape the summer heat (as Ramallah tends to be cooler due to the altitude).

Cheers,
Seth

 
At 6:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dave & Seth - I had to back track to this blog, and must recommend an excellent Middle Eastern eatery in Ville St. Laurent, on Decarie near Decelles called Samiramiss. The owner is Michel and his mother comes in every day to cook the daily specials, soups, desserts, and other goodies. The best fattouche salad on earth (I always request less vinagrette). Also the best falafel sandwich in town. On Sunday they have a lamb special, thinly sliced roast leg of lamb on a bed of rice, served with hummus and salad. We have introduced this place to many people who all love it there. A quaint, homey atmosphere, a small terrasse and excellent home-style cooking.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home